Fishing Report Upper Bay

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Bay' started by Peltz, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Peltz

Peltz TechFish Staff Staff Member

I made it out on the bay this week for the first time all year. My teenage daughter asked me to take her fishing so I decided to take off work. How often does your 16 year old daughter want to fish with her dad?

Since it was my first time out this year I have not kept up on the hot fishing areas. I knew that the Swan point and Love point areas have been good for chummers so I headed off in that general direction. As I was was making my way I asked my daughter; "do you want to go east or south?" She said south so I changed direction and started that way thinking I would go the the bridge. We had not gone far when I spotted breakers. We motored over to them and started catching 15 to 18 inch stripers. Happy to have some action, we stayed on them for awhile, moving as we needed to keep up with the school. At some point during this period I slammed my Steve Fogle custom rod against another rod in my rocket launcher and it broke in half. I was really bummed for awhile after that.

By now the tide had started to slacken and storm clouds were forming to the west. A huge storm cell passed by about 20 miles to the north, and the threat of being caught out kept me from straying farther south or east. We got a few more fish each as I kept an eye on the sky. I saw one too many lightening strikes off in the distance and made a fast run back to the ramp. We made it back with plenty of time to spare but drove home in some torrential downpours.

Besides the broken rod it was fun day with my daughter. We caught a bunch of fish including a few barely legal sized ones. The breeze made it not to uncomfortable. The boat ran great. The new hubs and brakes on the trailer were good. And my new reel, a Daiwa BG 2500, was excellent. I read a bunch of positive feedback about this new reel from Daiwa so decided to buy one. A very nice reel, smooth and solid and made for the salt.

Frank Bonanno likes this.
  2. Nice report Peltz - sorry you are not getting out more. Time for a shot of bourbon :)

Pat

3. Can I ask what day you were out? I am curious what the water looked like. Supposed to be some mud headed south and I need to take my nephews out this weekend.

DirtyFrank likes this.
  4. Peltz

Peltz TechFish Staff Staff Member

I was out on Wednesday and the water was not too bad. Seemed typical for summer.

5. Many thanks

6. Razorbacks

Razorbacks Angler

Was out today, ran from Middle River to Rock Hall ate at Watermans...Didn't see one school of braking fish. Maybe next will be better.

7. Big E

Big E Angler

Nice job Peltz. Always nice to see a younger generation taking time to spend with their folks. I would never mutter these words around my dad but as I've grown up I don't really like golfing. Used to, but it's boring to me now. However, I'll tell you what, I golf a good amount every year bc I like being with my dad a hell of a lot more then I dislike the monotony of golf. Funny thing is he always told me you can be good at one or the other, golf or fishing, because they both take a good amount of time up to be good at. He was right....... I suck at both. Lol.

-evans

Patrick Keating likes this.