Recommended sites, apps, phone #'s: Weather, Wind, Currents, Buoys, Dam schedules, etc.

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Bay' started by 240 LTS, Apr 8, 2016.

1. 240 LTS

240 LTS Angler

Seems like we are constantly referencing different sites to get the latest information on forecast for all things taking into consideration when planning a trip.
    At a minimum, weather, wind and tides are checked.

If you are up the Susquehanna, the dam water release schedule can come into play.
    Buoys with particular location info can play a big part. Turbidity, water temps, wave height, wind, etc.

I thought a thread where everyone could contribute what places you have come to trust the most.
    When someone needs that info, just look here.

If it is bay location specific, post that location with the link.

Weather
    Wind
    Current
    Buoy
    etc.

Hope this can help when planning a trip.

Jeff
    240 LTS

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. 240 LTS

240 LTS Angler

3. Frank Bonanno

Frank Bonanno Contributing Angler Supporting TechFish!

Weather - Fish Weather App, Radar Scope, AccuWeather
    Wind - Fish weather app exclusively - for both forecast and current conditions.
    Current - Navionics and Smart Bouys App
    Buoy - CBIBS Smart Bouy App

Offshore forecasts I normally look at the Marine Weather NOAA forecast app.

Sean Hickey likes this.
  4. TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher TechFish Staff Staff Member

5. done workin

done workin Angler

Www.windyty.com

Will show current winds as well as forecasted for specific areas by "clicking" on or touching the area you want. On Iphones, there is a faint menu bar in the bottom right corner. Can also do precip, snow etc.

Also like the NDBC site ndbc.noaa.gov for all of the weather buoys.

Chris

dbarker likes this.
  6. Peltz

Peltz TechFish Staff Staff Member

For general weather I use WeatherBug. For tracking storm cells I use StormEye.

For wind I use Fishweather and WindFinder.

For tides, current stations and marine weather I use Marine Weather Pro. I also use the NOAA Smart Buoy app for lots of variables such as water temperature and turbidity.

7. Jack frost

Jack frost Angler

For phone apps.

Noaa chesapeake bouy
    Marine weather
    Wind finder
    Fish weather
    I use my phones weather app also

8. Jack frost

Jack frost Angler

TechnicalFisher likes this.
  9. 2dogs

2dogs Angler

10. Jack frost

Jack frost Angler

I found another great app, its not for weather or tide but its called US topo maps. Very good detail for finding points and leges with depth

11. 240 LTS

240 LTS Angler

This?

US Topo maps.JPG

12. Jack frost

Jack frost Angler

Yep thats it

13. Peltz

Peltz TechFish Staff Staff Member

I have US Topo Maps too, but I use it for general maps. I didn't realize that it had marine charts. Kind of like Navionics without the GPS functions.

The technology available at our finger tips is incredible.

14. TechnicalFisher

Yeah, I use Navionics marine on my phone. Costs some $$ but you get great quality charts with tide/current stations, route time/distance and all the other info you'd see on your chart plotter. Perfect for planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 240 LTS

240 LTS Angler

I know my Android phone can connect to my HDS Gen 3 Wifi and see what is on the HDS, but can the HDS show that app from my phone on it's 12" screen?

16. 240 LTS

240 LTS Angler

17. Razorbacks

Razorbacks Angler

18. iFishMD

iFishMD Angler

19. TechnicalFisher

As part of our goal to turn TechFish into a "one-stop" site for anglers, we've programmed a new feature on the site that provides full-color rasterized Navionics charts right here on TechFish. Just click on the tab on the top that says "Navionics Charts" and enjoy. Those who use the Navionics on their chartplotters will note that these charts look exactly the same, though we are not able to click through to get tide station and point of interest info (yet).

Hope everybody enjoys the new feature and finds it useful. Feel free to PM me with feedback.

20. BayView

BayView Angler