Random Sonar Shots - Please post your own

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Bay' started by Shawn Kimbro, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Mark Galasso

Mark Galasso Angler

2. Mark Galasso

Mark Galasso Angler

Just a couple more screen shots. One from my Garmin and another from a friends Simrad. You just have to learn what your looking at.

Frank Bonanno likes this.
  3. Travis Long

Travis Long Angler

image.jpeg Pretty hard to miss! Plo this fall!

Roger T and Frank Bonanno like this.
  4. Josh K

Josh K Angler

Sexy fish shots aside, what about the down and dirty practical stuff we see on the screen and wonder to ourselves should I stay or should I go? The initial image is what you don't want to see while LTJ'n, cow nose rays! A common reading on my unit for a ray/rays looks like a dynamic caterpillar that stretches across most of the screen. This representation is fairly easy to recognize, however if the rays are thin and spaced out they can look suprisingly similar to a bay wolf-pack. Below you'll see a couple of rays spread out in a lose group.
    image.jpg

Below are a few misc. images which are fairly common place on the bay but that are not initially easy to interpret ( atleast for me). Also you can see how the difference in frequency effects the representation of the sea creatures.
    image.jpg
    - image.jpg
    -
    image.jpg
    -
    image.jpg

5. Frank Bonanno

Frank Bonanno Contributing Angler Supporting TechFish!

Josh, awesome point does seem like with a little interpretation and understanding of the fish, you can make some assumptions about whats under the boat.

My belief is there are a couple of thinks that help with this interpretation. How long the fish stays under the boat, how large the fish is, how fast the fish is moving, and where it is in relation to the boat.

There have been several cases where, I have had faint archs on my finder to find I have nice fish in the immediate vacinity just not under the cone. I spent a day with some friends picking off mid twenties fish with out having a decent mark on the find. It was slicks and just light blue arches (on my finder red "Bacon strips" are as good as it gets, see earlier post). And we were catching pretty good. It makes a ton of sense to pay attention to stuff like this.

Roger T likes this.
  6. Peltz

Peltz TechFish Staff Staff Member

Do rays always stay near the surface? If I am in 30 feet and see good marks from 20 to 30 feet I assume those are not rays. On my HDS I can usually tell the difference between good stripers. small stripers, perch and bluefish by the color, density, shape, size and position in the water column. I have never really thought about rays. What about jelly fish? What do they look like on the sounder? Sometimes they are thick.

DaveHuz likes this.
  7. iFishMD

iFishMD Angler

Nope we catch them on the bottom while chunking unfortunately...

I will try to get some images of a new Furuno TZT2 unit with Rezboost in the coming weeks/months. I am just not fishing as much right now due to business of kid activities, work and getting some beach time. The last couple of trips have been bottom fishing trips for young kids.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  8. Travis Long

Travis Long Angler

It's also very interesting how large a 1oz Jig head can look on sonar.

9. iFishMD

iFishMD Angler

I have been fiddling with a Furuno TZT2 12" screen with the new Rezboost feature last week and thought I would share the photos. Unit was on auto "fishing mode" and Rezboost setting of "Enhanced". Gain was on auto too. (Basically full auto mode) Transducer is just a $95 p66, which is a 45 degree cone @50kHz and 12 degree cone @200kHz.

Striped bass while drifting channel edges with low-mid 20" range fish. Left is low frequency, right is high frequency:
    [​IMG]

Small Striped bass and snapper blues near the surface in 80' of water (50kHz left, 200kHz right.) Found under small flock of birds. You can see faint thermocline just below 20'
    [​IMG]

Striped bass to 23" and snapper blues near the surface wide cone 50kHz. Fish were spitting sliversides which we think is the cloud by the arches. (sorry about the shadow lines)
    [​IMG]

I still need to learn the unit more. I want to learn how to split the screen to view a top 40' of water for when fishing the deep channel and still view the entire water column like I do with my 1870f

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  10. Roger T

Roger T Angler

I just recently learned what large Shad look like on the screen.
    Every species does have its own look,sometimes slightly simular to something else.

I will see if I can get the SS from my unit.

11. Travis Long

Travis Long Angler

12. Travis Long

Travis Long Angler

FullSizeRender6.jpg FullSizeRender5.jpg Rock fish attacking glass minnows. The down image gives you so much detail. I wonder if down image/sidescan transducer makes as much noise as sonar? You can easily keep taps on the school without sonar once you find them.

Roger T likes this.
  13. Travis Long

Travis Long Angler

I get a lot of questions (Donnie) about what macks FullSizeRender.jpg look like on my lowrance. Well here you go -JK

Peltz and Frank Bonanno like this.
  14. pat handrick

pat handrick Angler

sub 1.jpg

found this off the St Marys shore,
    USS S-49 (SS-160) was a fourth-group (S-48) S-class submarine of the United States Navy. ... Following repairs, S-49 resumed operations off the New England coast, and in January 1927, moved south, with ... the former S-49 foundered off Point Patience in the Patuxent River on 16 December 1942 and sank in 102 feet of water at latitude 38° 19' 53.2" north, longitude 76° 29' 17.2" west or, on a bearing of 318.5 degrees true, distant 525 yards, from the southern tip of Point Patience.[citation needed] The wreck is visited, on occasion, by Navy and recreational divers.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Night Harbinger and Josh K like this.
  15. 240 LTS

240 LTS Angler

Past by this a few times and took two photos.
    At first I thought maybe it was a school of fish but then when comparing the photos it look to be structure. maybe a group of rocks?
    It was in open water on a flat.
    Could it be an oyster bed?
    It looks to be too rough or each item too large to be oysters.....maybe?

I will check it again the next time in that area.

Attached Files:

Roger T and Frank Bonanno like this.
  16. Roger T

Roger T Angler

It looks like rocks,see some bigger one's at the end.
    Good shot !

17. MKupfer32

MKupfer32 Angler

Josh, do you know what those perfectly vertical lines on the ray shot are? I have seen them on my unit a few times and cannot figure them out

18. MKupfer32

MKupfer32 Angler

[​IMG]

Suspended fish in the upper 20's from last week.

[​IMG]

Wasn't 100% sure on this one as it was the first day I had the CHRIP completely dialed in to where I wanted it. It was in the severn at a traditionally good perch spot but we didn't catch a single fish despite marking this school over and over again.

19. Josh K

Josh K Angler

@MKupfer32 I can't say for sure but this spring up at the bridge the water was pretty dirty. I'm assuming it's some sort of suspended particulate creating erroneous sonar returns. At the end of the day, I don't see those vertical marks when I'm in clean water.

20. iFishMD

iFishMD Angler

[​IMG]
    Rockfish on bait..