Fishing Report Good LTJ Trip Saturday

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Bay' started by Curtis Hall, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Curtis Hall

Curtis Hall Angler

Had not fished in 3 weeks. Called a friend who had fished a few times this past week. He had a couple good trips and pointed me in the right direction. Thanks man. Unfortunately the weather report was not accurate. Figured out that 6 to 10 mph SW means 6+10 SW. Made it to the spot in the sloppy 2-3 foot chop by 7:30. We could not maneuver enough to find fish much less fish. We left for some more protected waters. Spent probably 2 hours looking and could not find good marks. By this time the wind had moved to NW and we decided to go back to our original destination. Found conditions much improved. By 11am we found them.

[​IMG]

After several drifts, my friend Clay finally connected on a nice mid 20" fish. Now that we knew they would bite we committed to fishing these schools in this area. Over the next 3 hours we had a slow pick of 20"-33" fish. I then connected to a nice fish. Nearly half a spool of Line I started to wonder if I had a skate but I could clearly feel the head shakes. After what seemed like 10 minutes I had the fish within 30' and it was big 36"-40" fish. We already had our cooler fish, but I was getting excited to snap a quick picture and release this fish. Moments later my hook pulled. [​IMG]

The jig heads had way too light a hook for that class of fish. Switched to heavier jig. By now the wind had picked up again and I needed the heavier jig to bounce bottom anyway.

[​IMG]

All in all good trip and happy we stayed committed to the area.

[​IMG]

Need to add an ipilot to bow. We spent more time resetting our drift than we did fishing. Maybe a winter project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank Bonanno, Peltz and Tom Rozanski like this.
  2. Great report Curtis. Hoping to see you out there. Things sure have changed since you put me on my first Rockfish many years ago.

I want to fish off that new ride of yours!

Pat

jason.miller0225 likes this.
  3. Roger T

Roger T Angler

4. bluefish1928

bluefish1928 Angler

Notice the lack of gap between the plastic and the hook point- you are putting yourself at a disadvantage to hook up on fish. Assuming that is a 7 inch Bass Assassin, I would want at least a 5/0 hook on the jighead for some gap. A 4/0 hook will accommodate a 6 inch or smaller soft plastic. Those Sea Striker jigheads are really only built to handle speckled trout and flounder, not larger fish with boney heads.

Night Harbinger likes this.
  5. Curtis Hall

Curtis Hall Angler

They are BKD jig heads and jigs I think I bought them together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. bluefish1928

bluefish1928 Angler

They are not. Here are pics of those from those make by Bill Montgomery with BKD. Notice how the eyes are 3d stickers:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They come with nice stout black nickel hooks. 50 pound+ Cobia have been landed on these jigheads without issues. The only report Bill told me about his jigheads straightening were on tarpon. I do not like the BKD jigheads on 6 inch BKD's because the hook may be kind of too big for the jighead weight. However, for the 10 inch BKD's, the 1.5 and 2 oz BKD jigheads are perfect.

For light jigheads with stout hooks, look for redfish style jigheads. Bass Assassin makes jigheads with a nice stout 4/0 hook that only weighs 3/8 oz.

You worked hard to find fish, don't let the small mistakes keep you from landing your fish.

7. Curtis Hall

Curtis Hall Angler

I stand corrected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk